SLO Assignment #2 (PSYCH2103 Human Development)
SLO# 2 – Aging
As we age, there are more and more challenges that come with physical aging. This is obvious, well understood, and at the forefront of a person’s mind as they age. What is less understood is the fact that effort should be put into maintaining brain (cognitive) health. Our brains operate much like our physical bodies do in the sense that it needs to be exercised in order to stay strong and healthy.
1. Watch the following video on a company named, “Sharp Brains.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4F_GlciZEU (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Here is a link to the Sharp Brains website:
2. Select 2 adults (perhaps a relative, neighbor, co-worker, or a friend) who are in late adulthood (ages 65 and above) . Ask these 3 questions:
1. “What do you do to stay young and sharp?”
2. “Do these activities/techniques help you deal with/prepare for death and dying?”
3. Given what you know now, is there anything you would do differently?”
3. Describe your interviewees (their ages, relationship to you, work/relationship status) and discuss their responses to each interview question. (Paragraph 1)
4. Reflect on their responses and the information presented in the video, and answer the following questions:
Do you believe the researchers in the video have found valuable ways to improve one’s cognitive abilities/skills? What about the advice given by the older persons you interviewed? Do you intend to follow any of the suggestions given by the researchers or your interviewees? Why? How do you intend to maintain your cognitive health and prepare for death and dying. (Paragraph 2)