Packet Capture Analysis
You are analyzing packet captures from a wireless network to assess if the captures pose a threat, what risks, if any.
For this assignment, analyze the packet captures provided by Wireshark by doing the following:
Go to the Wireshark Sample Captures site, and download the following:
· wpa-Induction.pcap.gz Wi-Fi 802.11 WPA traffic
· wpa-eap-tls.pcap.gz WiFi 802.11 WPA-EAP/Rekey sample
· nb6-hotspot.pcap Someone connecting to SFR’s wireless community network
· ciscowl.pcap.gz (libpcap) Cisco Wireless LAN Context Control Protocol (WLCCP) version 0x0
· wap_google.pcap contains two WSP request-response dialogs
Note: Only download these sample captures. Other captures may set off your computer’s system defenses.
Use Wireshark to view and analyze the sample captures.
Create a 1-page table that ranks the packet captures from the highest to lowest threat. In your table provide the following for each packet capture:
· Description of the traffic
· Description of the risks, if any, the traffic poses to the wireless network
· Countermeasures to take to secure network from any threat
Write a 1/2- to 1-page memo to management as a network security specialist explaining the following:
· How you can distinguish hostile packet data from normal packet data
· How you can recognize any attack signatures in the packets you analyze
· Provide a rationale for ranking the packets as you did