NR 228 NUTRITION ASSESSMENT AND TEACHING ASSIGNMENT
NR 228 NUTRITION ASSESSMENT AND TEACHING ASSIGNMENT
Nutrition is an essential component of overall health and wellness. The registered nurse plays a key role in assessing nutritional status and educating patient on nutrition to promote a healthy lifestyle, prevent nutrition related disease, and mange chronic health disorders. This assignment will focus on assessment of nutritional status, analysis of the current diet, and educating on the priority change to improve nutrition.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes
· Assess whether nutritional intake provides basic nutrients for optimal health and wellness
· Describe nutritional needs for optimal health and wellness for the individual
· Describe evidence based practice interventions and modifications in nutrition therapy that can positively influence the outcome of disease and illness
Refer to Course Calendar for details. The Late Assignment Policy applies to this assignment.
There are 75 possible points with this assignment
Preparing the assignment
There are three parts to this assignment.
1. The first part of the assignment consists of data collection. A nutritional assessment will be conducted on a family member or friend who is at least 18 years of age. The person should identify at least one nutritional goal that they wish to achieve. A 24-hour dietary recall of all the food and drink consumed on a particular day will be recorded on the provided Excel spreadsheet. Obtain the person’s height and weight in order to calculate the Body Mass Index.
2. The second part of the assignment consists of analyzing the diet to see how much of the different nutrients were consumed in the 24-hour period and how the intake compares to the current recommendations for the person’s age and gender. An analysis should be made of the intake of protein, fat, vegetables, fruits, grain, dairy, water and fiber. Based on the analysis, identify the area(s) of improvement needed in order to meet the current recommendations along with the person’s nutritional goals.
3. The third part of the assignment is the education piece where 2 – 4 specific suggestions will be made to the person to help them meet their personal nutritional goals and the current recommendations. In this part, describe the methods used to teach them and give their response to this education.
The assignment will be submitted in an APA formatted paper with a title page, an introduction, a conclusion and a reference page. The paper should be 2-3 pages not counting the title page and reference page. A minimum of four (4) scholarly references dated within the last five (5) years must be used. The course textbook is the only textbook that may be used as a reference.
|Data Collection||15||20||All required data is collected:-Person’s nutritional goal(s)-24-hour dietary recall-Height, weight and Body Mass Index|
|Diet Analysis||35||47||Diet analysis consists of:-Amount of specific nutrients required daily-Amount of specific nutrients eaten that day-Analysis intake of protein, fat, vegetables, fruits, grain, dairy, water and fiber-Identify area(s) of improvement needed to meet national dietary recommendations-Identify area(s) of improvement needed to meet person’s nutritional goals|
|Education||15||20||-Provides education for the areas of improvement-Provides 2-4 specific recommendations-Describes the methods used to teach-Describes the person’s response to the education|
|APA Style and Presentation||10||13||-APA guidelines are followed for format, citations and references-A minimum of four scholarly references used-No reference is more than five years old|
Updated February 3, 2020
Grading Rubric for Nutrition Assessment and Teaching Assignment
|Assignment Criteria||OutstandingA (92-100%)||Very GoodB (84-91%)||CompetentC (76-83%)||UnsatisfactoryF (0-75%)|
|Data Collection||All required components of assessment included(15 points)||Missing 1 required component of assessment(14 points)||Missing 2 required components of assessment(13 points)||Missing 3 or more required components of assessment(12 points)|
|Diet Analysis||Includes critical analysis of all required components(35 points)||Missing analysis of 1-2 required components and/or analysis lacks sufficient detail and/or analysis is not clear and organized(33 points)||Missing analysis of 3-4 required components and/or analysis lacks sufficient detail and/or analysis is not clear and organized(31 points)||Missing analysis of more than 4 required components and/or analysis lacks sufficient detail and /or analysis is not clear and organized(29 points)|
|Education||Education reflects main area identified for improvement and includes all required components(15 points)||Education reflects main area identified for improvement but missing 1 required component(12 points)||Education reflects main area identified for improvement but missing 2 required components.(10 points)||Education reflects main area identified for improvement and missing more than 2 required components OR education does not reflect main area identified for improvement.(8 points)|
|APA format and presentation style||APA formatting consistent with no errors and paper is clear and organized(10 points)||APA formatting is inconsistent with 1 -2 types of errors in spelling, grammar, citation or references and/or the paper is not clear and organized(9 points)||APA formatting is inconsistent with 3-4 types of errors in spelling, grammar, citation or references and/or the paper is not clear and organized(8 points)||APA formatting is inconsistent with more than 5 types of errors in spelling, grammar, citation or references and/or the paper is not clear and organized(7 points)|
|Total Points Possible = 75 points|