ESSAY #2 – Deconstructing an Ad FIRST DRAFT
Please WRITE a 4-PARAGRAPH ESSAY (about 700-850 words DOUBLE-SPACED) that DECONSTRUCTS ONE of the 3 ADVERTISEMENTS below:
1. CURTIN UNIVERSITY AD
2. AXE ANARCHY AD
3. TEXTING & DRIVING PSA
YOUR THESIS STATEMENT SHOULD ANSWER THIS QUESTION:
Which embedded value, point-of-view, or lifestyle is used to sell the product or communicate the message depicted (shown) to the viewer in this advertisement? Which three techniques are used to promote that message?
PLEASE INCLUDE at least 2 VISUAL COMPOSITION TECHNIQUES (from Advertising Techniques – Part 1) and 1 PERSUASIVE TECHNIQUE (from Advertising Techniques – Part 2) as your SUPPORTING POINTS.
Your Essay should include:
1. An Introduction:
– Giving a general description of the Ad or Public Service Announcement (PSA)
– A thesis statement – one sentence that directly answers the first question and a second sentence that describes three sub-topics (the three techniques used to sell the product or communicate the message).
2. Body Paragraphs:
– At least 3 supporting paragraphs describing the techniques used in detail (include specific details about the ad as well as an analysis of its effect on the viewer).
3. Your FIRST DRAFT DOES NOT NEED A CONCLUSION
LOOK AT the ALKA-SELTZER AD and READ the ESSAY #2 EXAMPLE
Actionsto think about WHAT EMBEDDED VALUE YOU WANT TO FOCUS ON and WHAT TECHNIQUES ARE USED to show it.
Please use the following format for your typed essay:
1. A 12-POINT FONT size
2. ONE-INCH MARGINS (on Top, Bottom, and Sides)
3. Your NAME, the CLASS NAME, and the DATE in the upper right-hand corner (SINGLE-SPACED)
4. A TITLE in the CENTER of the page (Bold, Underlined, or both)
5. INDENT the First Sentence of EACH PARAGRAPH (5 SPACES or TAB)
6. Make sure YOUR 4 PARAGRAPHS (below the Title) are DOUBLE-SPACED
7. Your THESIS STATEMENT should follow the LOGICAL DIVISION OF IDEAS method of ORGANIZATION (p. 90-93 in Longman Academic Writing Series 4: Essays)