Creating a thesis statement
Locate one additional article related to one of this week’s case study topics, other than the one you used in Week 1 Discussion.
Complete the Source Quality Rating Document found in the Week 1 Learning Resources.
Determine the main idea of the article. What is the author arguing?
After you have determined the main idea of the article, craft your own thesis in response to the article’s main idea. You may create a thesis statement which agrees with the article’s main idea, or you may create a thesis statement which disagrees with the article’s main idea.
Once you have created your own thesis statement, develop a full sentence outline which supports your thesis.
Please see the sample Week 1 Assignment 2 document, located in the Week 1 Learning Resources. This document shows the required elements of this assignment.
Be sure to provide attribution, using APA formatting, for any sources used.
Create one document that includes:
The thesis statement and outline you created
Your completed Source Quality Rating Sample Outline
Title Goes Here
Thesis Statement: In comparison to traditional schools, online schools create a better learning environment to prepare students to be successful later in life.
A. Acquaint the reader with the topic and purpose of the paper (set up the topic and provide necessary background information). B. End introduction with your thesis statement
II. Main Idea #1 – Online schools create a better learning environment due to flexibility.
A. Students can choose a schedule that allows them to continue to work either full-time or part-time.
1. Students can continue to work and make money to pay for expenses.
2. Earning a degree can show employers that the employee is ambitious, and this may lead to future promotions.
B. Students have the opportunity to plan their study time around the rest of their day.
1. Students can study and work when they are at their peak energy, whether this is early morning or late at night.
2. Students do not have to miss out on time with their family or friends.
III. Main Idea #2– Online schools create a better learning environment due to a more comfortable setting.
A. There is no commuting.
1. Students do not have to deal with traffic.
2. Students do not have to struggle with finding parking spots at a university.
B. Lectures and other materials are provided electronically to students, who can then read and complete assignments from their own home or any other place they choose.
1. Students focus better on their assignments because they are in comfortable surroundings.
2. Students can concentrate more easily because they are not distracted by other students and/or classroom activity.
IV. Main Idea #3 – Students can dialogue more freely in the online environment.
A. Everyone is in an equal position in the online classroom, so students tend to start genuinely speaking to one another within the discussion board and group assignments.
1. Students can express their thoughts freely, which allows them to provide feedback and receive honest, constructive feedback from others.
2. Dialoguing more freely can add to students’ interest in the class.
B. Within discussion boards, students can follow the class discussions and look at the questions other students have posted.
1. Students will be able to ask themselves whether or not they know the answers to the questions. If they don’t, this is a good cue that they need to ensure they understand concepts. If they do know the answers, they can illustrate this by communicating answers to others.
2. Students are more likely to feel comfortable answering questions within the discussion board. This can help students feel empowered, while also helping others by answering questions or dialoguing about them.
V. Concluding paragraph
A. Include a brief summary of the paper’s main points, but don’t simply repeat things that were in your paper. Instead, show your reader how the points you made, along with the support and examples you used, fit together.
B. Leave your reader with a “so what” thought. What do you want to leave your reader thinking about?