Action On The IOM Report
Action on the IOM Report
An Institute of Medicine (IOM, 1999) report was a wake-up call for both the general public and healthcare providers regarding the problem and tragic consequences of medical errors. According to the report brief, “At least 44,000 people, and perhaps as many as 98,000 people, die in hospitals each year as a result of medical errors that could have been prevented” (IOM, 1999, p. 1). The report recommends a four-tiered approach as a strategy for addressing this problem. Read the IOM report.
These actions have been evaluated in recent years through several approaches. For this assignment, read the initial IOM (1999) report and then evaluate how the healthcare system has responded to each of the four recommendations made in the report. Use two resources to find information about how the US healthcare system is acting on the four recommendations in the IOM report. You may use journal articles, government reports, reports or findings of public organizations, and other authoritative sources. The following are resources of information on the recommendations as well:
The first recommendation (about creating leadership) refers to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). Use the AHRQ website.
The third recommendation (about actions of oversight organizations, professional groups, and group purchasers of healthcare) identifies The Leapfrog Group.
Health Policy Brief provides an overview of implementations of this report as well.
Respond to the following:
- Which of the IOM recommendations do you feel provides the greatest impact on patient safety? Why?
- Assess the US healthcare system’s actions regarding the four recommendations in the IOM report. Which recommendation provides the most impact on patient safety? Which provides the least? Justify your answer.
- Provide an overall assessment of how the US healthcare system is performing with regard to patient safety in response to the IOM recommendations.
- To support your work, use your course and textbook readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
- Your initial posting should be addressed at 300-500 words. Submit your document to this Discussion Area by the due date assigned of this Week. Be sure to cite your sources using APA format. PLEASE ANSWER EACH QUESTION SEPARATELY AND INCLUDE QUESTIONS.